Take the first step into the exciting world of the hair industry.
Working in a fully-equipped training salon at NMIT, you will learn to:
- Develop a range of elementary hairstyling skills, including presenting fashion competition work
- Develop skills to support a stylist within the salon
- Provide service and care to clients in a salon
- Understand and document a client’s journey within the salon environment
- Understand fashion trends to be able to present a personal fashion image
This is a practical introduction to a career that never goes out of fashion!
During this programme you will work towards credits in the NZ Certificate in Salon Services Level 2.
Time: 9am to 2.30pm Thursdays and Fridays
Location: NMIT Marlborough and Nelson
Pathways + Opportunities
- Industry Employment/ Apprenticeships and ITO Training
- L3 Certificate in Hairdressing (Salon Support)
- L4 Certificate in Advanced Professional Hairdressing at NMIT
Senior Hair Stylist
Colour Technician/Hair Colourist
The Trades Hairdressing course has given Rose the opportunity to see what a future career in hairdressing would be like, as well as helping her decide where she might like to study when she leaves school.
“I really like my course - it’s very practical. Even when we’re doing book work, we’re still learning in a practical way and it’s never boring! My tutor is very reassuring and always finds ways to make learning fun and interesting.”
April’s career goal is become a qualified Hairdresser and to one day have her own hair salon, so choosing the Trades Hairdressing programme was an easy decision. “The course has given me the opportunity to get the experience I need to understand what it will be like to work as a hairdresser. We’re gaining experience in lots of different aspects of hairdressing, including treatments and styling, as well as how to run an actual salon.”
April really enjoys the practical nature of the programme and the fact that she can focus for a whole day on the subject she really loves. She plans to return to NMIT next year to complete the fulltime Hairdressing course.