Take the first step into the exciting world of the hair industry.
Working in a fully-equipped training salon at NMIT, you will learn to:
- Develop a range of elementary hairstyling skills, including presenting fashion competition work
- Develop skills to support a stylist within the salon
- Provide service and care to clients in a salon
- Understand and document a client’s journey within the salon environment
- Understand fashion trends to be able to present a personal fashion image
This is a practical introduction to a career that never goes out of fashion!
During this programme you will work towards credits in the NZ Certificate in Salon Services Level 2.
9am to 2.30pm Thursday (Marlborough) or Friday (Nelson)
NMIT Marlborough and Nelson
Pathways + Opportunities
- Industry Employment/ Apprenticeships and ITO Training
- L3 Certificate in Hairdressing (Salon Support)
- L4 Certificate in Hairdressing (Emerging Stylist)
Senior Hair Stylist
Colour Technician/Hair Colourist
“I’ve got to know the other students in my course and I feel really included in everything we do. I enjoy working with the other girls in the class and styling their hair. We’ve got to know each other well and this is an easy environment to learn in and be yourself.”
A big plus for Katharine are the facilities at NMIT. “The salon here is so new and is just like a real hair salon. There’s never a shortage of dryers or other equipment that we need. Our tutor is lovely. She’s very patient and always happy to see us”.
While travelling into NMIT in Nelson every Friday from Tapawera means an early start and a long drive, Katharine believes it’s worthwhile, as she’s not only developing valuable skills for the hair and beauty industry, but she’s also gaining credits towards NCEA Level 2.
Katharine is keen to look at other Trades options next year when she returns to school to complete Year 13, possibly in the Beauty or Creative Design programmes.