Take the first step into the exciting world of the beauty industry and develop beauty skills in a practical and real world environment.
Working in the fully equipped training salon at Te Pūkenga NMIT you will explore beauty trends, treatments and services and have the opportunity to develop the skills needed to provide basic treatments to clients. During this programme you will work towards credits in the NZ Certificate in Salon Services Level 2 and you will also have the opportunity to learn about:
- Skin health
- Customer service and retail
- Professional products
- Eyebrow shaping
- Hand, foot and nail care
This is a great opportunity to learn about a future career that will enable you to travel the world while working in the beauty, body and spa industry.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the client journey in a salon.
- Provide client service and care and assist the operator to prepare for service in a beauty salon or clinic.
- Describe key concepts related to personal hygiene and presentation and maintain personal presentation and a positive image for a commercial beauty salon.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current fashion trends and analyse their influence on performing beauty therapy service.
- Demonstrate knowledge of significant milestones in the history of beauty therapy services and related products.
- Describe the relevance of anatomy and physiology knowledge to performing facial treatments and massage treatments.
- Maintain the cleanliness and level of supplies in the beauty salon.
Note: Some unit standards may change. Final information on the standards specific to your course will be available prior to starting your programme.
If circumstances change there could be mixed models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Starts: February 2024
9am – 2.30pm Thurs (Marlborough) or Fri (Nelson)
Te Pūkenga NMIT Nelson and Marlborough
Pathways + Opportunities
- Tertiary Pre-employment Training
- NZ Certificate in Beauty Therapy L4
- NZ Diploma in Beauty Therapy L5
=>Qualified Beauty Therapist
- Trainee Beautician
- Make-up Artist
- Massage Therapist
- Beauty Sales Representative
- Business Owner
- Image Consultant
- Health Resort Employee
- Industry Assessor/Tutor
- Make-up for TV/Movie Industry/Fashion/Events
Lisa found out about Trades Academy when she came to an Open Day in Year 11. “The Beauty programme really stood out to me as something I might like to do. In fact it’s actually exceeded all my expectations”. Lisa says that the professional facilities at NMIT make all the difference. “Our classroom is like a real salon."
Lisa’s highlights so far have been learning how to apply facials, eyebrow and eyelash tinting, as well as learning how to look after a client in the salon. She also likes the fact that the students are responsible for their own learning. “Our tutor guides us through what we need to learn, rather than telling us what to do.”
As a result of taking part in the programme Lisa is planning on enrolling at NMIT as a fulltime student next year to complete the Level 4 Certificate in Beauty Therapy. “This course has given me a sense of direction. I’d rate it 10 out of 10.”
The professional clinic environment and hands on learning of Trades Academy suit Kiara-Lee. In 2018 she completed the Hairdressing programme and she enjoyed this so much that she enrolled in the Beauty class this year to further her knowledge of hair and beauty treatments.
Kiara-Lee enjoys meeting new people at Trades Academy. “Our class is cool. We all have a passion for learning new skills.” A highlight of the course for Kiara-Lee is “seeing the difference in a client after a facial, when they are refreshed with glowing skin and look confident and rested”.
Kiara-Lee sees a career for herself in the beauty industry and plans next year to either return to school or take the next step into full time Beauty study at NMIT.