Creative Design for Hair & Make-up
Do you have a flair and passion for creative design? This course can help you develop your creative design techniques in the hair and beauty industries.
This Level 3 programme has been designed to build on and extend skills gained in either the Trades Academy Hairdressing (Level 2) or Beauty (Level 2) programmes. Students will gain a sound understanding of the skills and attributes needed to work in any salon while also developing salon skills in both hairdressing and beauty therapy services.
This course is practical and experiential, with a strong focus on creative design. Students will develop and practice their skills in NMIT’s hairdressing training salon and the beauty training clinic, working with clients where appropriate.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of salon workplace requirements and procedures.
- Describe the skills and attributes required of an employee in a salon.
- Carry out client consultation in preparation for dressing long hair; and dress long hair using a range of techniques and styling aids.
- Describe, maintain and safely use tools and equipment used in make-up and skin care services.
- Demonstrate knowledge of facial features, shapes and underlying skin tones.
- Demonstrate knowledge of make-up colour and design, products, and styles for a range of occasions.
Note: Some unit standards may change. Final information on the standards specific to your course will be available prior to starting your programme.
If circumstances change there could be a mix models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Starts: February 2021
9am to 2.30pm Fridays
Pathways + Opportunities
- L3 Certificate in Hairdressing (Salon Support)
- L4 Certificate in Hairdressing (Emerging Stylist)
- L4 Certificate in Beauty Therapy
- L5 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- Trainee Hairdresser/Beautician
- Image Consultant
- Beauty Sales Representative
- Health Resort Employee
- Self-Employed/Own Business
- Film/Theatre/TV/Fashion Events
- Senior Hair Stylist
- Makeup Artist
- Cruise Ships
- Salon Receptionist
- Colour Technician/Hair Colourist
Annie’s goal is to become a special effects make up and prosthetics designer for the film and theatre industry; and she’s doing everything she can while she’s still at school to make that dream a reality. Last year Annie completed the Level 2 Beauty programme and this year she’s extending her skills and knowledge further through the Level 3 Creative Design for Hair and Make Up programme. These programmes are building the foundation skills she needs to go on into future tertiary study and then employment in the industry.
“The Trades programmes are a stepping stone that will set me up to be successful when I enrol for full time tertiary study in Auckland next year. I enjoy the freedom that I have here at Trades. The learning is practical and hands-on and I feel I’m in control of what and how I learn. I think creative people thrive in this sort of environment. The things we are learning are very valuable and if you put the effort in, you’re definitely going to get the rewards.”
One of the highlights of this year’s programme is being able to combine both special make up effects with hair styling. “I didn’t have much hair styling experience before but this goes hand in hand with make up design”. Annie has been able to put her new knowledge and skills to good use in her roles as actor and hair and make up designer in the local Youth Theatre, school productions and teaching these skill to younger primary students.