Do you like making things? Have you thought about a career in joinery? This hands-on joinery programme could be your first step of a great career that can take you places.
Working in Te Pūkenga NMIT’s Building Barn based in Nelson, you’ll learn heaps of useful things like developing your skills in using hand and power tools; learn how to read plans; create drawings for your projects and to gain insight into joinery manufacture.
There will be a chance to design and build furniture while gaining a good knowledge of the health and safely requirements in the workplace.
From here you can go into employment, a trades course at Te Pūkenga NMIT or further study.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Calculate quantities and prepare an order, set out and construct timber furniture, and complete work operations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, select, maintain, and use hand tools for BCATS projects.
- Identify, describe, select, maintain, and use portable power tools for the construction of BCATS projects.
Note: Some unit standards may change. Final information on the standards specific to your course will be available prior to starting your programme.
If circumstances change there could be mixed models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Starts: February 2024
9am to 2.30pm Fridays
Te Pūkenga NMIT Nelson and Richmond
Pathways + Opportunities
- Industry Employment/ Apprenticeships and ITO Training
- Tertiary pre-employment Training at Te Pūkenga NMIT in Joinery or Carpentry and Construction Trades Skills
- University Studies
- Construction worker
- Retail shop fit out
- Building supplies sales
- Landscape construction