Emergency & Response
If you want to pursue an active and exciting career path in the uniformed services but are not quite sure which service, then this is an ideal opportunity to try them out.
Paramedics, Police, Fire Services, Search and Rescue and Civil Defence – these uniformed services all offer varied and exciting career opportunities.
You will have the opportunity to experience a simulated search and rescue exercise, gain bush survival skills and find out what it is really like to be a paramedic, police officer, or a firefighter. Learning is practical, active and engaging – this is a fun way to take a big step towards achieving NCEA Level 2 or 3 while gaining your basic first aid certificate and also refining your career path.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
Level 2 – Uniformed Services – Learning outcomes:
- Provide basic life support and first aid.
- Manage first aid in an emergency situation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of general purpose knots and lines.
- Use general purpose knots and lines in an emergency situation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role and functions of Civil Defence general rescue at ground level.
- Identify safety equipment, safety precautions and hazards in general rescue situations at ground level.
- Plan and carry out searches to locate simulated casualties within a specified area at ground level.
- Move casualties to safe locations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of formal interviews
- Be interviewed in a formal interview
- Plan, conduct and review an informal interview
- Communicate in the outdoors using two-way radio
- Communicate in a team or group which has an objective
Level 3 – Civil Defence Emergency Response – Learning outcomes:
- Create a personal bush survival kit and demonstrate bush survival skills.
- Explain search and rescue procedures.
- Explain long-term management requirements for an emergency care situation in an outdoor recreation environment.
- Assess and manage a patient’s condition long-term in an outdoor recreation environment.
- Plan and engage in an activity intended to benefit the community.
Note: If circumstances change there could be mixed models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Level 2 and 3 options
Starts: Term 1 and 2 intakes
4 x four day block courses (includes overnight)
Whenua Iti Outdoors
Pathways + Opportunities
- New Zealand Police College
- Bachelor of Health Science in Paramedicine
- New Zealand Fire Service Training
- New Zealand Defence Forces
- Defence career options with NZ Army, NZ Airforce and NZ Navy
- New Zealand Land Search and Rescue Inc.
- Emergency Management
Find out more about what you will learn in the programme
Uniformed Services Level 2
Civil Defence Emergency Response Level 3
What other courses are available?See all courses Full course brochure (PDF)
Phillip has really enjoyed the practical activities of the Uniformed Services course. These have ranged from taking part in challenging multi-person first aid scenarios, through to USAR missing person search scenarios and learning about the fire service through real life fire service training activities. Phillip says that meeting the professional people who work in these services has given him a much greater insight into the different roles and type of work they do. He has a lot of respect for the difficult work these people undertake and the challenges they face every day that they go to work.
Phillip feels he is broadening his knowledge base and has learnt how to react effectively in difficult situations. He has learnt new skills such as how to help in his community in an emergency situation, as well as developing and strengthening his communication and leadership skills. Phillip says the course was “amazing with loads of fun activities to keep you interested”.