If you enjoy being outside, being active and learning in a hands-on, practical way, then come and join our efforts to protect New Zealand’s unique biodiversity!
The Level 3 Environmental Sustainability programme will focus on bringing environmental sustainability, conservation practices and mātauranga Māori (Māori knowledge and wisdom) to life through a series of field-based, environmental activities.
The curriculum will be engaging, practical and delivered in a dynamic learning environment. It aims to give students a good background on environmental and conservation issues facing our modern society, with an emphasis placed on creating a positive connection to our natural world and therefore a desire to preserve it. Students will be exposed to ways they can reduce their impact and will have the opportunity to interact with groups who are doing some amazing work to preserve and restore our natural world.
Underpinning the curriculum is the development of crucial personal and social development skills transferable to any vocational pathway.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain kaitiakitanga in terms of how Māori interact with te taiao.
- Explain the use of tikanga Māori as part of exercising kaitiakitanga.
- Plan, carry out and evaluate a local kaitiakitanga activity.
- Prepare for the trapping of rural pest animals.
- Set traps, and place baits and lures for rural pest animal control.
Note: If circumstances change there could be mixed models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options
Starts: Term 1/2. Dates TBC
4 x four day block courses (includes overnight)
Whenua Iti Outdoors
Pathways + Opportunities
- New Zealand Certificate in Pest Operations – Urban Pest Control (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Conservation (Operations) (Level 4)*
- Kaitiaki Whenua Trainee Ranger*
- New Zealand Diploma in Environmental Management (Level 5)
- Bachelor of Environmental Management
* Available locally at Te Pūkenga NMIT
- Pest Control Technician
- Park Ranger and Other Roles with the Department of Conservation (DOC)
- Biosecurity Officer
- Environmental Scientist