World of Wine – Cellar Operations
Take the first step into the exciting world of viticulture and cellar operations in this Marlborough based programme. Gain industry recognised skills and experience to take into industry employment or further tertiary study.
In this diverse 2 year programme students will work towards completing a Level 3 NZ Certificate in Cellar Operations. In the first year you’ll explore both the local and international wine industry, including sustainable wine tourism, cellar door and restaurant operations and wine industry logistics. In the second year you will be introduced to red and white winemaking processes and skills to enable you to work effectively in a wine cellar team.
Learn about the history, geography and climate of the main grape growing areas of the world and how these influence wine style.
You’ll also learn about vineyard technology, including how to use specialised equipment such as drones, water monitoring technology and laser guided tractors. In cellar operations you’ll get to experience the basic workings of a cellar environment and the different equipment used.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Outline the history and structure of the NZ wine industry including terminology, wine varietals and employment opportunities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of wine making legislation, codes of practice, hazards and their management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of winemaking equipment and chemicals, processes and procedures.
- Explain, prepare and carry out fining and making additions to wine in a commercial cellar operation.
- Apply knowledge of the stages of red, white and sparkling winemaking in a winery.
- Demonstrate knowledge of quality management procedures used in wine production.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the management of waste and waste products in the winemaking process.
- Work and communicate effectively within a team in a commercial wine cellar operation.
- Explain, prepare for, carry out, and complete wine transfers, basic fermentation and tank mixing operations.
Note: If circumstances change there could be mixed models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Level 3 – This programme offers two year levels
Starts: February 2023
9am to 2.30pm Fridays
Pathways + Opportunities
- Continue on to the second year of the NZ Certificate in Cellar Operations through TOTSTA and NMIT
- Industry employment
- Tertiary education and training
- NMIT tertiary study:
• NZ Certificate in Horticulture Production – Viticulture (Level 4)
• Bachelor of Viticulture and Winemaking (Level 7)
- Vineyard Manager
- Cellar Hand
- Cellar Manager
- Wine Maker