Service Industries Internships- 2021 on hold due to Covid
The Service Industry Internship programme is designed for students who are looking to gain essential employment skills for the transition from school to the world of work.
The Service Industry Internship programme is a work placement apprenticeship-based programme. Students whilst working for a professional service operator will learn about unique local tourism attractions and practice key skills required for the service industry. As part of students work experience one on one mentoring is available as well as on-going training.
Students are required to operate at a high level and be independent in their approach to learning. It is therefore recommended that students can demonstrate the following:
- Completion of a Whenua Iti Outdoors Trades Academy programme or equivalent with a teacher recommendation
- An ability to self-manage
- A high level of interest in developing work-ready skills
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Provide customer service experiences in a tourism workplace.
- Work in a team on a tourism workplace project or task.
- In addition, depending on what standards chosen:
- Explain the importance of Māori place names in tourism.
- List and use a range of Te Reo greetings and farewells in tourism.
- Describe key action areas of environmentally responsible tourism.
- Describe an environmentally responsible tourism workplace.
- Apply environmental principles in a tourism workplace.
- Explain Tikanga in tourism Māori.
- Discuss Karakia tawhito as it applies to a tourism Māori event.
- Examine contemporary karakia as it applies to a tourism Māori event.
- Recite a karakia in Te Reo appropriate to a tourism Māori event.
*This course is under review and some outcomes may change.
Note: If circumstances change there could be a mix models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Starts: 2021 - currently ON HOLD
4 x four day block courses (includes overnight)
Whenua Iti Outdoors
Pathways + Opportunities
- Tourism Industry Employment
- Diploma in Adventure Tourism
- Bachelor in Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Event Management
- Bachelor of Marketing
- Tourism Business Operator
- Adventure Tourism Guide
- Tour Guide
- Customer Service Consultant
- Travel Consultant
- Flight Attendant
- Tourism Marketer
- Hotel Receptionist
- Museum Guide
- Event Manager