Predator Control & Conservation
This course has been combined with Environmental Science for 2023 to form a new course = Environmental Sustainability
If you enjoy being outside, being active and learning in a hands-on, practical way, then come and join our efforts to protect New Zealand’s unique biodiversity!
The Level 3 Predator Control and Conservation programme is designed to introduce students to predator control programmes and the important role they play in protecting New Zealand’s biodiversity.
Students will complete a number of field-based trapping and conservation projects in a range of environments. The programme focus is on developing an understanding of environmental management practices and the technical and personal skills required to effectively participate in field-based environmental management programmes. Learning will be active, students will need to be physically fit and prepared for practical work in remote environments.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain kaitiakitanga in terms of how Māori interact with te taiao.
- Explain the use of tikanga Māori as part of exercising kaitiakitanga.
- Describe bush-walking equipment available in New Zealand.
- Prepare for bush-walking.
- Demonstrate use of maps and compasses when bush-walking.
- Demonstrate stream crossing skills when bush-walking.
- Demonstrate knowledge of survival skills required if lost or stranded in the bush.
- Prepare for the trapping of rural pest animals.
- Set traps, and place baits and lures for rural pest animal control.
- Check traps and clear them of pest animals and non-target species, and process, and store or dispose of carcasses.
- Clean, store, and maintain equipment and materials, and records.
Note: If circumstances change there could be mixed models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Starts: Term 1 and 2 intakes
4 x four day block courses (includes overnight)
Whenua Iti Outdoors
Pathways + Opportunities
- New Zealand Certificate in Pest Operations – Urban Pest Control (L3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Conservation (Operations) (L4)*
- Kaitiaki Whenua Trainee Ranger*
- New Zealand Diploma in Environmental Management (L5)
- Bachelor of Environmental Management
* Available locally at NMIT
- Pest Control Technician
- Park Ranger and other roles with the Department of Conservation (DOC)
- Biosecurity Officer
- Environmental Scientist
Find out more about what you will learn in the programme
Environmental Sustainability - Level 3
Predator Control & Conservation Course Poster 2023
Whenua-iti Outdoors Block Courses – Video