Predator Control & Conservation
If you enjoy being outside, being active and learning in a hands-on, practical way, then come and join our efforts to protect New Zealand’s unique biodiversity!
The Level 3 Predator Control and Conservation programme is designed to introduce students to predator control programmes and the important role they play in protecting New Zealand’s biodiversity.
Students will complete a number of field-based trapping and conservation projects in a range of environments. The programme focus is on developing an understanding of environmental management practices and the technical and personal skills required to effectively participate in field-based environmental management programmes. Learning will be active, students will need to be physically fit and prepared for practical work in remote environments.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Communicate in a team or group which has an objective.
- Demonstrate knowledge of river dynamics and hazards.
- Cross rivers safely.
- Prepare for the trapping of pest animals.
- Set traps, and place baits and lures for pest animal control.
- Check traps and clear them of pest animals and non-target species. Process and store or dispose of carcasses.
- Clean, store and maintain equipment, materials and records.
- Plan and engage in an activity intended to benefit the community.
Note: If circumstances change there could be a mix models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Starts: Term 1 and 2 intakes
4 x four day block courses (includes overnight)
Whenua Iti Outdoors
Pathways + Opportunities
- New Zealand Certificate in Pest Operations – Urban Pest Control (L3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Conservation (Operations) (L4)*
- Kaitiaki Whenua Trainee Ranger*
- New Zealand Diploma in Environmental Management (L5)
- Bachelor of Environmental Management
* Available locally at NMIT
- Pest Control Technician
- Park Ranger and other roles with the Department of Conservation (DOC)
- Biosecurity Officer
- Environmental Scientist