If you’re interested in the environment and the world around you, but would rather be in the outdoors than in the classroom, then this is the programme for you.
The Level 3 Environmental Science programme is designed to bring science to life through a series of field-based, environmental investigations. The programme focus is on developing an understanding of environmental science, environmental management and traditional Maori environmental management practices. Students will carry out practical activities and investigations at sites throughout the top of the south.
Students will have the opportunity to investigate the ecological niches of local animals and plants, as well as exploring the habitats of native freshwater and marine fish and shellfish.
You do not need to have taken Level 1 or 2 Science options at school to be eligible for this programme.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the ecological niche of an animal species.
- Investigate and report a variable of an animal species’ ecological niche.
- Describe the ecological niche of a plant species.
- Investigate and report a variable of a plant species’ ecological niche.
- Explain kaitiakitanga in terms of how Māori interact with the natural environment.
- Explain the use of tikanga Māori as part of exercising Kaitiakitanga.
- Plan, carry out and evaluate a local kaitiakitanga activity.
Note: If circumstances change there could be mixed models of delivery e.g online, face to face one day per week or block options.
Starts: Term 1 and Term 2 intakes
4 x four day block courses (includes overnight)
Whenua Iti Outdoors
Pathways + Opportunities
- Certificate in Conservation (Operations)
- Certificate in Horticulture
- Diploma in Aquaculture
- Diploma in Applied Science
- Diploma in Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Aquaculture & Marine Conservation
- Conservation Ranger
- Aquaculture Farmer
- Environmental Scientist
- Fishery Officer
- Biosecurity Officer
- Fishing Skipper
- Marine Biologist
- Field Technician